Nursing Agencies List - The No.1 Online Directory for Nursing Agencies
Forum Home [JFN Home] Forum Home > Open Nursing Forums > Career Advice
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Advanced Practice Nursing (oh, and global health)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advanced Practice Nursing (oh, and global health)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emilygayle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advanced Practice Nursing (oh, and global health)
    Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 01:27
Hey ya'll,

My situation is unique, and while I've done as much homework as I can from the NMC and RCN websites, I'm still having a hard time getting a firm grasp on what its like to be a nurse in the UK.

I'm finishing up a BSN program in the U.S. this year, and while I was planning on completing my Masters/Nurse Practitioner qualifications here as well, it looks like life might be taking me to London in the next couple of years. The role of the NP is well established in the States, and brings with it a greater amount of autonomy (and a higher paycheck) while still using the nursing model in patient care. Research and leadership are huge components of the job, and I am nervous about taking my career to a place where the the role isn't as established.

So, I'm particularly interested in learning more about the role of the NP in the UK system. I am familiar with how the NHS works (I lived in Dublin for two years, and have had several short term assignments in London), and I realize NPs are beginning to become more utilized as "extensions" of general physicians. I am looking for insight from currently practicing nurse practitioners about their role, their opinion of the direction advanced practice is going in the UK.

Oh, my area of focus here in the U.S. is global public health, so I'm also curious about opportunities to UK based nurses to work internationally.

Any and all advice welcome (I'll swap you for some about coming to the U.S!)
Thanks!

JFN Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JFN Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 14:15
Hi Emily,

I am a lurker on an email group of UK Nursing Practitioners who may be able to help you out. Their website is at www.nursepractitioner.org.uk. The Discussion list can be joined from here http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/npuk/

Kind regards,

Nigel
garsideamy12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsideamy12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 07:14
nurse with post-graduate education in nursing. APRNs are prepared with advanced didactic and clinical education, knowledge, skills, and scope of practice in nursing.[1]
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsideamy12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2013 at 08:29

Advanced practice nurses are professional nurses with specialty training, usually at the master's level, in primary or acute care. There are approximately 100,000 advanced practice nurses in the United States.

In recent years, state legislatures have broadened the authority of nurse practitioners to receive direct payment and to write prescriptions. As a result, these practitioners can establish independent practices that parallel those of primary care physicians. Nurse practitioners can also establish collaborative practices in which doctors and nurses share clinical responsibilities.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsideamy12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 10:14
A registered nurse who has acquired the expert knowledge base, complex decision-making skills and clinical competencies for expanded practice, the characteristics of which are shaped by the context and/or country in which s/he is credentialed to practice. A Master's degree is recommended for entry level.

International Council of Nurses 2001
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsideamy12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 11:08
Determine if something is within your scope of practice and learn what ANA is doing to protect that scope.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic