Inspired Options are actively seeking UK Nurses with existing Australian Nursing Board registration
Forum Home [JFN Home] Forum Home > Open Nursing Forums > Career Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Didn't get job - advice please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotnur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Didn't get job - advice please
    Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 09:24
Bit of a long story, sorry, but here goes... The department I work in is closing and as well as picking options of alternative workplaces there have been a number of band 6 opertunities in new units opening up. I had an interview for the band 6 last week but didn't get it despite feeling I had a good chance with more than 15 years relevant experience, relevant CPD, teaching experience and a very relevant extended role. I was aware competition was really tough so was actually ok when I heard I hadn't got it. However i then heard that someone I work with, am in charge of on a daily basis, has a decade less experience, no extended role, never preceptored or done any teaching has got one of the posts. I phoned for feedback and was told it was down to points system on the day. They were unable to specify were I scored low, and I said I was worried that my interview was poor as someone with a lot less experience than me had got the post and she just said that wasn't the case it was just down to the scoring system. . So my question is what do I do now? I spoke to my line manager who basically was just pretty shocked too but couldn't offer any actual advice... I am considering phoning HR to basically say not happy with the feedback given but really, is it going to get me anywhere? I know they aren't going to say "gosh, you're right, you are much better suited, we'll phone and let her know she's out and you're in"!! Even if they did I would never want to be seen as the person who got the job because they kicked up a fuss.. Particularly bearing in mind I may end up working here anyway. If I did contact HR I don't want it to sound like sour grapes but am I worried about it sounding like sour grapes because it is? Do I just have to man up and get on with it? Having said that I am not the sort of person to let it show at work - I have already managed a whole shift being in charge of her since the result with congratulatory hug etc! Feel free to be brutally honest! I am worried family and colleagues are being biased with their advice. Thanks
JFN Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JFN Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 00:23
Hi Scotnur,

Historically the NHS has been deskilling its workforce for over a decade. I remember when they started to make F Grade a Sister/Charge Nurse level instead of Acting positions. A friend I trained with twenty years ago was an E-grade she had taken management courses and was running the hospital at night on an acting F Grade which with the experience and management courses was perfectly OK.

Now she is working as a part-time E Grade and not uncommonly has the more senior grades asking her advice about things that they have never experienced - like running the ward ;-)

Your position is likely to be as much about the ignorance of interviewers of the actual interview criteria quality as it is about your performance on the day. If you are ambitious then consider whether moving to another unit would be a solution. If you can bit the bullet and let your head allow you to remain professional and emotionally detached from the process you have gone through then your ability to continue where you are will be easier.

Your concern about the outcome of a complaint to HR is probably well-founded and there is nothing less rewarding than a hollow victory and a reputation that could go along with that may leave you feeling that it wasn't worth the effort.

I hate to raise the possibility but the job may already have been earmarked for the successful candidate and that is very difficult to proof if it was so.

You haven't said whether you are already a Band 6 or whether that would be a promotion. If already at that level I would anticipate that you would have a period of protected pay in which to decide what you wanted to do. If you are currently a Band 5 then moving to another Band 5 position and adapting well would simply strengthen your case for a Band 6 opportunity that may come further down the line.

You have gone through the process and although you have not succeeded this should not be seen as a failure. I personally would ask for further information i.e. one or two things which would have increased your points score on the day. Feeling aggrieved is perfectly OK because it shows that you actually wanted to get the job and felt confident that you were capable of doing it.

Nigel

Edited by JFN Admin - 11 Feb 2015 at 00:25
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic