Nursing Agencies List - The No.1 Online Directory for Nursing Agencies
Forum Home [JFN Home] Forum Home > Open Nursing Forums > Nursing with a disability
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

disability

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura-lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: disability
    Posted: 24 Dec 2007 at 07:29
it is not easy nursing with a disabilty and i have been a bit shunted around as i am no longer allowed to be a ward manager as i walk with a crutch and it is a health and safety issue!
i have been in a new role of KSF lead for a little while but my biggest bug bear is i really miss patient contact, and they never minded that i was on a crutch,
not easy but keep plodding on for you out there there is life asfter disability.
merry christmas.  
JFN Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JFN Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2007 at 10:08
Hi Laura-Lee,

That sounds like a mighty dodgy issue to move your from your job.

I assume that where ever it was that there was a health and safety issue was also an area where patients and relatives also shared. I also assume that they have specifically banned all people with crutches from the same area on health and safety grounds too.

Were the unions any help?Shocked

Edited by JFN Admin - 24 Dec 2007 at 10:09
sinead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2008 at 14:07
Hi laura lee

Im sorry to hear about your predicament and as an ex ward manager who was terminated on ill health grounds after 28 years you have my complete understanding and support. I was also deemed a health ansd safety risk and subsequently moved around and messed  about until they gave me a temporary bed manager position that was being "TRIALED" for 6 months.  My union (RCN) were brilliant and a great support at a time when you feel so desperately low and useless. They forged agreement after agreement and finally retired me on ill health grounds with a good pension. I have no regrets now and in fact I am quite relieved not to be under all the stress anymore , not only from the nature of the work but in also coming to terms with a disability. Please take advice from your union and dont lose your self esteem or confidence. For a caring profession the NHS can be quite cruel and brutal. Glad you have been offered a position that you are enjoying and is challenging. Its hard to leave the patient area but on the bright side you are contributing a great deal of your experience and knowledge to others, that still impacts on patients and carers ..
RMN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2008 at 13:54
Sadly, for an organisation set up to help those with disabilities, the organisation fails its own staff that fall into this category.
I have known friends in the job that have lost their jobs due to disabilities.
Whilst the RCN and other Unions are very helpfull to members, even managing at times, some form of compensation. Sadly at the end of the day any nurse labeled as having a disability ends up suffering due to it.
There are probably many nurses, like myself, that are very aware of this, so choose to keep their problems/disabilities hidden.
Sadly some, like our friend Laura Lee havent this option.
Keep up the good work Laura Lee

Zetland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zetland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2008 at 09:53

Sorry to hear of the problems everyone has had, fortunately I have been employed in Practice Nursing for over 20 years and with an increasing disability it has been the best area to work in, no lifting and minimal walking so even on bad days it has been possible to work with the support of my my very helpful colleagues. I am employed for my nursing skills and abilities, my disabilities have always been less of an issuebecause my employers know  I have always put 100% in to my work. Perhaps practice nursing is the best area of nursing to be when disabled

kevinbrown10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinbrown10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 04:53

Hi Laura-Lee, sorry to hear about your problems but i am not able to understand why you had been removed from your previous job role. As i think if your patients are satisfied with your performance and dedication of you towards your job then it's a bit kind of injustice to you.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic