Inspired Options are actively seeking UK Nurses with existing Australian Nursing Board registration
Forum Home [JFN Home] Forum Home > Open Nursing Forums > General Nursing Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12 hour shift pattern and self rostering?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colliecrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 hour shift pattern and self rostering?
    Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 19:11

Hi there,

I currently work in a low secure ward who are looking at implementing 12 hour shifts. Can anyone provide me with sample rotas/shift pattern? Also, what are peoples' experiences of self-rostering? 

Looking forward to hearing from you

Campbell

colliecrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colliecrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 16:29
Hi again,

Can anyone who currently or has previously worked 12 hour shifts try and give me some idea of how their shift pattern worked?

Many thanks in advance

Campbell
linzielou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linzielou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 20:40
Hi there

I have been working 12 hour shifts for a while and normally work 2 12 hours together for example say mon and tues and then say sat 

we have to make 6 and half hours up every 4 weeks if fulltime 
Nitin Ajwani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nitin Ajwani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 08:51
Hi Linzielou,
 Thanks for sharing this schedule.It is really helpful for me as i am going to start 12 Hours shift.

madjay29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madjay29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 13:58
Hi, I find 12 hrs shifts great, as it means after three days i have a couple of short shifts and then days off, self rostering is not as easy as it sounds as you will find (like with everything else in life) the exception. So and so can only do this day or that day and you will find that you end up with all the awkward shift patterns because you want to be seen as flexible and supportive.

but it all depends who you work for and how your team mork together, Would be interested to know how ya getting on
debrag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debrag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 11:55
We work 8am-8:30pm or 8:0pm - 8:30am.

Some weeks we do 3 shift, some 2 and some 4 as long as we have 13 shifts in 4 weeks. Never more than 2 days in a row but can be up to 4 night in a row.

We have a request book where we can write what days we'd like to have off ect. We are meant to be going to self-rostering but haven't yet and I don't like the idea of it as some people could be stuck doing whatever is left over.
EAdvancedHealthcare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAdvancedHealthcare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 02:25
OK I used to work 12 hour shifts before I became an Educator.

We used to work 38hr weeks, so to do this our roster had to equate 38hrs/wk spread over 4 weeks.

To achieve this we worked 3x12 hour shifts per week. We then had 1x8hr shift per 4 weeks, which allowed us to have the rest of the time off. This then balanced out to a 38hr week.

12 hr shifts rock. I miss them.

Self rostering of this works well, just put a piece of paper on the wall and get people to fill it in for you.

Jamie
E Advanced Healthcare
http://www.eadvancedhealthcare.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic