Inspired Options are actively seeking UK Nurses with existing Australian Nursing Board registration
Forum Home [JFN Home] Forum Home > Open Nursing Forums > General Nursing Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Studying Nursing Degree through OU whilst working
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Studying Nursing Degree through OU whilst working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nursetobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Studying Nursing Degree through OU whilst working
    Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 00:02
Hello All! :)

I'm new to the site and just wondered if any of you could advise me.

I've just got a job as a healthcare assistant in a hospital, my plan is to eventually qualify as a nurse. I am working in General surgery. Have any of you got your nusring dgree through Open University whilst working as an auxiliary/ hca? I'd love to hear your stories/thoughts. I could apply direct to a normal university but I need the money.

Do all NHS hospitals allow their staff the opportunity to do this? I'm not started, so don't want to mention it just yet! I'm not sure how I'd go about asking...or who to ask. Also, how musch were you able to work whilst studying for your degree? I'm wondering if I would still be able to earn more than the current bursary.

Does the fact that I'm working in surgery limit which branch of nursing I could choose? For example if I wanted to pick childrens would the hospital want me to do adult as it's more relevant to my current role?

Many thanks in advance for any replies! :-)
frazzler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frazzler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 23:47
Hiya,

I didn't know the OU did nursing courses - I had presumed they didn't because of the need for regular tutorials and face-to-face support from personal tutors.  But I'm wrong because they do!  I just took a look on their website and they don't allow you to self-fund so you will have to be sponsored by your employer.  

I wouldn't worry too much about your hospital finding out that you'd like to do your full training.  You'd be surprised at how encouraging they'd be...although I imagine they'd want you to work for them for a while before discussing training.  Then, of course, economics means that hospitals are quite short of money to sponsor embers of staff to train.

What is it about the OU that attracts you apart from the money?  There are various bursaries available for student nurses, depending on your age and any dependents you may have.  You will also have time to work part-time.  If things do get tough financially, you can always take a year off and work to save up money.  You will have 5 years to complete your 3 years of training from the date you start.  So in theory you could study for Year 1, take the next year out to work, complete 2nd year, take a year off and work, and then study for Year 3.  This will not do your future career prospects ANY harm so it's worth serious consideration.

Your current area of work won't have ANY negative impact upon your application.  Don't forget that the vast majority of student nurses arrive straight from school aged 18 without any experience of hospital work.  So your application will come with a major built-in advantage.
debrag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debrag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 11:58
Your trust will have to sponsor you as you will do practical in the hospital, you can't register as an individual.

See if your trust is linked to a nursing school or will put you through the training, we use City Uni.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic