Nursing Agencies List - The No.1 Online Directory for Nursing Agencies
Forum Home [JFN Home] Forum Home > Open Nursing Forums > General Nursing Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

embarrassing question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katie_Lou1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: embarrassing question
    Posted: 18 Feb 2008 at 11:36
hi everyone,

I have just found the forum so this looks really cool and will probably be a god send for a student nurse who is just 12 months into her training :)

I have a bit of a silly question and one that embarrasses slightly, i work as a hca for a care agency at the weekends and evenings to gain experience and to top up my bursary, the problem is if you can call it that is one of my clients and elderly gentleman, i have to get him up in the morning etc and wash and dress him, the problem i have that when i take him through to the toilet in the morning he likes to stand to pee, however his penis is pretty much non-existant Confused and the pee just goes all over the bathroom which i then have to clean up, also when i have to was him its really difficult and dont know if i am getting him clean properly , he suffers from dementia by the way so cant really help me and i didnt want to make a fool of myself with the agency nor do i want this gentlemans care to suffer, if anyone has some advice or has dealt with this sort of thing before the help would be much appreciate

kind regards

KatieL
Coffin Dodger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coffin Dodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2008 at 05:57

With penile retraction it is usually possible to make the penis protrude by pressing inwards around the base of the penis, if your client consents to this and provided it doesn’t cause physical or psychological discomfort. You can do this with either your fingers or with the neck of a urine bottle. In the circumstances it would be wise to ask your agency if they are in agreement with you doing this, and whether they can advise you on a better or more appropriate technique. Penile retraction is quite common, but if your agency is unable to advise you then they or his next of kin could request advice from the patient’s GP, his practice nurse or a continence advisor.

What do others think?
KSLMEMSAMM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KSLMEMSAMM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2008 at 01:15
I have come across this problem often, the easiest way to clean this gentleman will be when he is lying in bed giving you easier access to his penis, then you haven't got the problem of abdominal folds hanging over the area if he is overweight.

I would recommend the use of a urinal for passing urine, since he has dementia I would take him to pu at the toilet standing as normal - just position the neck of the urinal at the base of his penis and let him pu in his normal position.

If you are not experienced at dealing with foreskins etc leave this for the trained staff until you have the skill and confidence which is best attained on placement as a student nurse..any problems get a trained nurse to take a look when out with the agency!

You do not wish to retract a foreskin and then have difficulty getting it back in place, also be careful what you are doing as the staff will not know you and you do not want to put yourself in any difficult positions...Speak to a nurse when you are next on placement to get the experience but even then some places prefer male nurses to deals with difficult penial problems. You also need special training to do male catheterisation due to length of urethra and prostate problems....yours M
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic