Inspired Options are actively seeking UK Nurses with existing Australian Nursing Board registration
Forum Home [JFN Home] Forum Home > Open Nursing Forums > General Nursing Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Medications errore

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curlygirl50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medications errore
    Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 15:59
Can anyone offer any advice please? I am a ward manager and recently a number of CD medication errors have been found on my ward by the pharmacists. These mostly relate to the entries made in the register - either crossing outs, illegible entries - but there has been a discrepancy in stock in the patients own register. All my staff are having retraining on CD medications but the powers that be want to see me doing more...any suggestions?
JFN Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JFN Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 11:45
Patients’ own CDs can easily cause issues and one of the first suggestions would be to carry stock of CDs that are regularly brought in with patients. Doing this you can simply store the patients’ own CDs away until they are returned to the patient on discharge.

Writing in capital letters in the CD book would possibly be clearer.

I assume that there are always 2 trained nurses checking CDs.

No crossings out are allowed and everything should be bracketed and countersigned if a mistake has been made – I assume this would have been part of the retraining.
A separate page for each patient CD – again, I assume this would have been part of the retraining.

On some wards the CD cupboard may not be used solely for CDs. Ideally this should be the case. Where the cupboard is used for both CD and non-CD medication you should

• Partition off the CD and non-CD medication

• Have a list on the inside and outside of the CD cupboard door identifying which category the stored drugs fall under.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic