Nursing Agencies List - The No.1 Online Directory for Nursing Agencies
Forum Home [JFN Home] Forum Home > Open Nursing Forums > Working in a Different Country
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nursing degree in two years but apel the first yea
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nursing degree in two years but apel the first yea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon7250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nursing degree in two years but apel the first yea
    Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 18:20
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone could offer some advice regarding my nursing qualification and whether it would be accepted abroad to work. I will explain my situation as i go through my post.

I am a registered adult nurse and have worked in a cardiac hospital for well over a year now. So I should have two years experience by the end of summer 2017.

Eager to move abroad with my nursing, i am not so sure if i can now. I took a university post graduate masters degree in pre reg nursing which was completed in two years. I have previously studied undergraduate courses in business and completed this years ago before deciding to go into nursing. At the time uni said i could do the nursing masters pre reg as i already have an undergrad BA degree.

So usually nursing courses will run over three years but this one was done in two as what would be the first year of a nursing degree was completed through aquired prior early learning (apel) and where I had to produce a portfolio. I had to prove through signed referencing by a nurse of nurse manager that i could do certain aspects of what would be expected from a first year undergraduate nursing student. I worked as a health care assistant and was able to have this portfolio signed when being observed practicing a certain skill/task over 6 months.

This portfolion once completed was assessed by the uni and health authority. I passed this part and went onto start the two years and come out with my degree and become a registered nurse at the end.

The uni course i did was a goverment programme to get more health visitors (HV) but i decided to do the two years instead of going onto do the HV course and become a nurse which would then have made it a three year course.

Health authorities abroad say they want a three year programme but mine was done in two but the very first year i completed it through apel and the uni says this makes it three years.

I know to enquire with the local health authorities i want to work under abroad and i am in the process of contacting them to find out more. But i would be interested to learn if anyone is in the same position or has been and how you managed this? Or if anyone has any advise they could offer regarding this.

I am at the early stages of the process of applying to work abroad. I am aiming for the UAE, Qatar or Australia as places to work, but UAE is my main choice.

Thabks for reading and hope to hear back from someone.

Simon
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 13:17
Interesting!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic