Inspired Options are actively seeking UK Nurses with existing Australian Nursing Board registration
Forum Home [JFN Home] Forum Home > Open Nursing Forums > General Nursing Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Physical assessment/without physical contact

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holistic-ish Nurse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Physical assessment/without physical contact
    Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 07:58
Hi all! 
 Just a little something to test yourselves with, I need the hive minds advise; 

Firstly a little back round, I work in a Mental health Crisis unit in the UK, we deal exclusively with patients who are brought to our service under sections 135/6 of the mental health act. (This is a section police and social workers and place on people they fear are a danger to themselves or others.)  

A fair number of our patients are a risk of physical deterioration as well as in serious need for assessment mental health wise. Most of the time this is fine we can take blood, do Ob's, ECG all the stuff you normally would. 

BUT! Sometimes we need to place people in supervised confinement for everyone's safety, or just because of their presentation they can't handle being physically touched. We've been developing a physical assessment tool based on the ABCDE approach, (and we're getting other disciplines and teams involved.) But I would love to hear from nurses in other areas to see if they have any suggestions;

How do we assess people without touching them?    

Thanks all!
JFN Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JFN Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 00:59
Hi Holistic-ish Nurse,

Is this connected to the trial at Broadmoor hospital in October? I see that they managed to monitor heart rate and respiratory rate on 7 non-patient volunteers.

However the intention is to be able to monitor blood pressure as well and because this wasn't included in the trial I'm guessing that they haven't yet worked out how to achieve this in practice.

Oxehealth submitted the specs for their Oxecam system in April 2015.The monitoring process they actually identified included 5 essential vital signs that they hoped to be able to monitor with cameras, including when the lights were off, using infrared. As well as heart rate and respiratory rate they are still working on monitoring blood oxygenation, blood pressure & Temperature. See more >>>

With thermal camera adapters available for the iPhone I would think that temperature would be the next vital sign to be successfully added.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by JFN Admin - 06 Feb 2017 at 01:01
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic