Get 25% off the Oxford Handbook for Nursing Series - Go to the OUP website now!
Forum Home [JFN Home] Forum Home > Open Nursing Forums > Career Advice
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Referred to NMC, how long before I hear from them?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Referred to NMC, how long before I hear from them?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lindy345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Referred to NMC, how long before I hear from them?
    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 22:25
Been told I have been referred to the NMC - how long before I hear from them?
I have been a registered nurse for well over 30 years with an unblemished record. I recently worked an agency night shift at a nursing home (have done many agency shifts over the years). I have been told that they have referred me to the NMC for drug errors. I believe this relates to allegedly not administering 2 meds from MARS blister packs and failing to have a care assistant witness me giving one dose of controlled medication. Neither the agency nor myself have been advised as to what the allegations are. So far, one month later, I have heard nothing from the NMC. I also work part-time (semi-retired) for the NHS. The agency advised me that I do not need to inform my NHS employer until I hear something from the NMC...is this true? I am semi retired and have been told that I could be retired from the NHS by the time the case is heard by the NMC (if this happens). Financially I need to remain in NHS employment for the next 2 years. For info - I was doing agency shifts as I had hoped to find job working a couple of nights a week in a care home after I retire from the NHS and was doing it to update my experience in care of the elderly. The agency are continuing to give me shifts.
JFN Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JFN Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 04:14
You have received a reply on the  JFN Facebook page. Further to his advice... Are you a member of a union  like the RCN or Unison? Whether this is something that proceeds or is dropped it highlights the need for professional support.

Jimmy Cockburn suggested that a month after the incident seems a along time to not have been contacted if something was being taken forward. It appears that he has also suggested contacting the NMC directly to see if any complaints have been made about you - you don't have to give any further details than that.

Good luck!

Nigel

Edited by JFN Admin - 23 Apr 2018 at 04:17
Sillystitch70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sillystitch70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 21:05
Hi
I am so sorry this has happened to you. I was in a similar situation 2 years ago and it made me physically ill. The alleged incident happened mid january Saying id missed two doses of medication but signed for it. I have an unblemished record and knew that although it was an extremely busy shift I cannot understand signing and not giving meds. It took the NMC 5 months to decide I had not done anything they classed as serious and that the evidence presented was insufficient and not proven. This incident made me lose all confidence in nursing and some of the back stabbers in this profession. I voluntarily removed myself the following May. Long story but after the break I have decided to return but having a job to get my forms completed as the correspondence is not the best.
In answer to your question it was about 2 months before I heard from the nmc and to be fair were very supportive. The union I was with were useless and were only willing to help if it went further. What medication was involved and was the patient at high risk of anything? With your previous record I cannot see this going further but I know how worried tou must be. I would contact the NMC and ask if they have received anything from the home. Unfortunately these things take time something you do not want to hear. Are you sure the home have put a complaint in?
Regards your current NHS job if it did not happen at your current position I do not see why you have to tell them BUT then if they found out and you hadnt mentioned it to them they may question you. Its hard as you have committed no offence within your nhs role.
Once again I would phone the nmc regards this .
I hope everything works out for you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic